So, getting off the road and settled back in to one’s home is seriously the best feeling ever. Everyone’s detox from road life is different I’m sure. At times I’ve gotten home and unpacked, done laundry all in a span of a few hours. Other times I’ve gotten home and gone straight to the refrigerator and cleaned it out. Something about throwing out expired items, wiping all the surfaces, changing the little Brita water filter thingie–it can be very therapeutic. And sometimes (which is what I did this time) I dump my stuff in my house and turn right back around and hop in the car to go see my friends that I’ve missed so much.
One time I got back and was in my kitchen when Jill asked me to hand her a plate. I was standing right in the middle and went to reach in a cabinet and paused…I could not remember for the life of me which cabinet I stored the plates in. I immediately burst into tears. Re-adjusting from road life can be tough. Don’t get me wrong…I realize this is a champagne problem…no lives lost, no major problem…I’m just sharing a somewhat funny story of adjusting🙂
So here are some things I’ve done since returning home:
- Watched the entire first season of Pretty Little Liars. That’s right. I watched ’em all. And let’s just say if they don’t find out who that pesky little “-A” character is I’m gonna lose it. Already started season 2…don’t judge and don’t you dare tell me what happens. I mean it!🙂
- Cooked almost every single meal in my house. Why you ask? Well, cause on the road you generally have a zero percent chance of a home cooked meal…unless you count a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in a dressing room. Just having choices and the control to cook your eggs exactly how you like them is pretty much heaven.
- Called my mom…a lot. I think cause we were out of the country for the last month of tour and phone calls are pricey…I feel the liberty to call my family members just to say hi…or to ask a silly question…plus being in the same-ish time zone as my family is also rad. No need to count on my fingers how many hours ahead or behind…just boom…calling.
- Turned my AC off and my heater to ON. It’s getting a wee bit chilly outside and I like it.
- Saw David Ramirez LIVE in Nashville. He was great, great, great. And he was funny. Who knew? Funny always wins.
- Got dressed up twice as “Sassy Space Girl”..once for our StageIt show and once for a Halloween party. I’ve decided I really like dressing up and I really like my outfits to have names. “Sassy Space Girl” will forever be remembered fondly and I think she made a real difference in the world.
- Completely and utterly avoided some of the “real grown up stuff” that I should do now that I’m back home. All the stuff I can avoid cause I’m like oh, shoot…gone for another week or two…it’s the nagging things like getting my drivers license renewed, and making my teeth cleaning appointment…Blah, blah, blah…I just wanna sit on my couch, eat popcorn and see what Aria and the gang get up to in Liar land.
- Started writing like 5 songs. None of them are probably any good but the creative juices have been on overload. Lots of melodies and lyrics running through my head. Been trying to jot them all down. Even started writing one on my guitar the other day…peaceful.
- Listened to Taylor Swift’s new record quite a bit. Here’s the dealio…it’s a great record. She tried new things. Went outside of her comfortable box. And dang it, she writes. Like, she WRITES. “All Too Well” and “The Last Time” are probably my favorites but man, I really like the whole album.
- Drank a ton of water. I’ve realized something about myself. I drink WAY more water if I have a cup with a straw. Weird right? Totally weird. Anywho…at home I have this cute little tumblr cup that I keep filled with ice water and just chug water all the live long day. I tried to outsmart myself and bring one with me on tour and I left it at a restaurant a few weeks in. Womp womp womp. So, I’m back home and bought myself a new one (it’s super cute and was only $4.99 at TJMaxx thank you very much).
- Played with a 2 year old a lot. Our friends had their second child so we were on babysitting duty for their two year old while they were in the hospital and it was pretty much a blast. Little kids laugh at the silliest things and that in and of itself is a life lesson. Laugh more. Be serious later.
So yeah…that’s a little run down about what’s been going on in my head, life….you could pretty much sum it up that I love being home. Woohoo!
So…how have you been?